Veganism is great ❗
In case you don’t know what it is: vegetarians don’t eat meat, vegans don’t eat any animal products (meat, cheese, milk, honey ect.).
Why am I a vegan now and then? (at least for 2 months per year 🙂 )
Because it’s great 😉 For me it’s the perfect way to lose the holiday weight, it gives me a fresh load of energy, it’s good for my conscience (by eating a little less animals per year), it’s good for my digestion system… more on why it’s great later.
When it’s so great, why don’t I do it permanently?
Well- that’s a tough one. Somehow I really don’t think it’s the healthier way to live on a permanent basis. At least I think one should take some dietary supplement and I don’t want to.
It’s hard to integrate veganism in everyday and social life. In almost every restaurant there’s a vegetarian option, but not a vegan option. Thank God that the garden Salat in McDonald’s is OK 🙂
It’s expensive. Even very expensive. Fresh fruits and vegetables cost remarkably more than the usual crap you buy. It’s just amazing how cheap meat and dairy products are… But the special vegetarian and vegan products are ridiculously expensive and they taste bad… I shop with my boyfriend (who eats “normal”) and in my vegan-months I always have to pay a lot more for less products than he. In my opinion the only good way to eat is balanced. So I consider my “veggie-months” as a way to start clean with a new, healthier, well-balanced way to eat.
1. You eat a lot of fruits and vegetables -> a lot of vitamines 🙂
2. Your bring you metabolism in hum.
3. You never feel ravenous appetite.
4. I think that your blood-sugar levels go down and are really stable and I assume that’s why you don’t feel ravenous appetite and I’m pretty sure that’s good for your health.
5. Your cholesterol goes down.
6. You do a little good thing for the animals.
7. You discover s lot of new veggie and fruit sorts and a lot of new dishes.
8. You have a reason to experiment with food.
9. You can snack a lot without feeling bad, full or guilty.
10. And a lot more- try it out and find your own reasons, why veganism is great 🙂
That’s just my opinion and it’s based on my personal experiences with veganism, if you are interested in the scientific or philosophical foundation, just search the net and you’ll find something, like that, that, that, that, that or that …
Update (11.02.10): I forgot to say why do I do vegan-months and not vegetarian-months. It’s simple- I’ve tried just to be a vegetarian, but I don’t feel any different. The ravenous appetite is still there, I feel full after eating a lot, my blood-sugar levels are not so constant and no so low… With veganism it’s all different 🙂