Yesterday was Women’s Equality Day and I didn’t have a chance to post this “on time”, but I still want to say it – I’m just so happy and lucky to be a woman TODAY, I enjoy so much freedom and I’m pretty satisfied with the treatment as an equal human being that I get.
I’m currently reading Women Who Kill, Ashwin recently posted Frames of Freedom: Freedom to Love and a lot of other little things reminded me lately how lucky I am to enjoy that much freedom in my womanhood and my existence in general. I would like to make it short and clear, so here is what I mean by “that much freedom”, that we take for granted most of the time, but a lot of people died fighting for it and that’s my way to say “thank you” to them:
1. I’m free to marry whoever I want to.
2. I’m also free to divorce him and while I’m married I have the right to own property, I have rights on my children and my own body, I’m not responsible for things that my husband do and I’m treated as an independent person by the law.
3. I’m also free not to marry, getting married is not the only possibility for me to survive and life a good life. I’m also free not to have children.
4. I’m free to work.
5. I’m free to vote, in other times I could get sued and worse for voting.
5. I’m free to be a witch, or a pagan (like Brea 😉 ), or whatever I want, as long as I’m not hurting others by my actions.
6. I’m free to get an education (yeah right, as long as I can afford it, but that’s the same for men too).
7. I’m free to speak my mind (e.g. via this blog) and most of the people believe that I have a mind, that I can think and have an opinion, like a man can, that I’m a person like a man is a person and not that I’m just a cow that can look pretty for a couple of years, give birth, clean and cook, that men and women are different in nature and only men are gifted with reason. Some may say that women are from Venus and men are from Mars, but still they and most people believe that we’re equally evolutionary developed human beings. It’s not like I didn’t knew that times were different before, but this book amaze me with how women would get out of a law suit about murder (!), just because men would think and argue, that a woman could never have a motive like “he beats me and drinks away all the money for our children, I would be better off without him”, because a woman is not capable of thinking on her own and make logical conclusions, more over she’s not capable of not worshiping her man and living only through him. This one particularly I take for granted most of the time, but not so long ago it wasn’t, I’m so grateful to all the people who contributed in a way to make that kind of thinking natural.
8. I’m free to dress like I want and look like whatever I want, I’m free to have red hair etc.
9. I’m free to have sex when and with whoever I want.
10. I’m free to like having sex, to experience great sexual pleasure by having sex, I’m even free to want to have sex and initiate it.
Actually, I can go on and on – so I’ll stop here and let you tell me in the comments about the freedom and rights of women that you are grateful for 🙂
Note: I’m not saying that it’s all good and that there’s nothing more left to do, because there is, but more on that soon.